By default all \wwwroot folders are already configured as application directories. This allows your asp.net applications to run from \wwwroot\bin.
But if you try to run a asp.net application from a sub-folder ie: \wwwroot\testapp1\bin, this application will likely fail because the \testasp1 directory is not setup as a application/virtual directory.
To make a sub-folder a application/virtual directory, follow these steps:
- goto the Helm control panel and find your domain.
- Then goto the 'Virtual Directories' icon and then click add new
- enter the name of your sub-folder in the Virtual Directory Name textbox ie: testapp1
- select the Physical Folder and click ok. You should see \testapp1
- click save
Assuming that the directory \wwwroot\testapp1 already was created, this example would make the \wwwroot\testapp1 folder a application/virtual directory and allow asp.net applications to run from the new \wwwroot\testapp1\bin directory.
NOTE: For this to work correctly, both the "Virtual directory" and "points to path" texts need to be exactly the same. IE: Virtual Directory Name: \testapp1 and Physical Folder: \testapp1
Another example: If you have \wwwroot\testapp1\subtestapp2\bin
You would have to:
- set Path To Virtual Directory: as \testaspp1
- set the Virtual Directory Name: subtestapp2
- next enter Physical Folder: as \testapp1\subtestapp2
You would want to see the Virtual Directory Name: \testapp1\subtestapp2 and Physical Folder: \testapp1\subtestapp2. In this case