The following article explains how to backup your MS SQL Server Express database using Management Studio Express. The backup can then be used at a later date to restore the database if information is lost. The backup file needs to have a .bak file extension.
To backup your database, please follow these steps:
1) Log into your server through Remote Desktop Connection (instructions for connecting to your server through RDC can be found here).
2) Create a folder to store your backups, for example c:\backups\
3) Log into MS SQL Server Management Studio Express on your Windows VDS.
4) Click New Query.
5) Enter the information found here.
6) Click Execute.
7) From the Start menu, click Control Panel, select Scheduled Tasks and click Add Schedule Task.
8) Click Next.
9) Click Browse.
10) Navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\, select SQLCMD.EXE and click Open.
11) Enter a name for the task, select when to perform the backup and click Next.
12) Enter your password twice and click Next.
13) Check Open advanced properties... and click Finish.
14) In the Run section, paste the following information exactly as you see it (including the quotes):
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\SQLCMD.EXE" -d msdb -Q "execute sp_backupdatabases @path='c:\backups\'"
15) Click OK.