The following article explains how to backup your MS SQL Server database using Management Studio or Management Studio Express. The backup can then be used at a later date to restore the database if information is lost. The backup file needs to have a .bak file extension.
Note: The steps are the same for both Management Studio and Management Studio Express. The program you will use will be based on your VDS plan.
To connect to your database, please follow these steps:
1) Log into your server through Remote Desktop Connection (instructions for connecting to your server through RDC can be found here).
2) Click Start, Programs, Microsoft SQL Server 2005/2008 and select SQL Server Management Studio Express
3) Enter the requested information:
- Server Type: select Database Engine
- Server Name: this field should be populated by default
- Authentication: select Windows Authentication
4) Click Connect.
5) Expand the server name and expand Databases.
6) Right-click your database, expand Tasks and select Back Up.
7) Under Backup type, select Full.
8) Under Destination, click Add.
9) Enter the path and file name for the backup file.
10) Click OK.
11) Review the settings for the backup.
12) Click OK to begin the backup.